Thursday, September 18, 2008

Poem for our son

I'd like to say that I wrote this myself with my fantastic creativity. However, it was actually a wonderful gift that I received from a semi-retired gentleman, Gary, that works part-time at my company. He brought me this framed poem that he actually wrote himself. When I opened it and read it, I actually had to try not to cry, it was so touching. Seriously, this guy should write greeting cards! So here it is:

To Cole,
From Mom and Dad with Our Love

How precious are you, our first born child.
How fortunate are we, to call you our son.

You are the one we hoped for, the son we dreamed of.
The love of your mother and father has formed you.
From this day forward you are bonded to us.

We promise to watch over you, promise to protect you and show patience from toddler through your teens and beyond. We will guide you always, but will need your help.

We have nothing of value to compare to your worth; a priceless child of ours for safe keeping.

As you grow older, so also will we, but with each passing year our love for you will only increase... neither time nor distance apart shall weight upon that love.

Whatever you do, wherever you go...
Go also our hearts with you.

On your sunlit days our shadows will entwine with yours and when stormy times come upon you, we will shield you as the Lord allows.

How precious are you, our first born child.

How fortunate are we, to call you our son.

2 comments:

*mar* said...

AW...that was wonderful. You should bring that man home with you and when you need words of inspiration just point to him! :)

Daydreaming, tree hugging human named lindsey said...

that is so sweet! It really is special. I can't wait for you and John to meet him and feel the love that comes with a child.