Thursday, July 17, 2008

You know what's not fun....

Fasting and glucose testing when you are pregnant. I had to get the glucose test on Tuesday at my regular doctor's appointment. They make you drink this liquid that tastes like non-carbonated orange soda. It's not really that bad, but you have to drink it all in 5 minutes, which is a bit rough. Plus, I wasn't allowed to eat sugar of any kind all day prior to taking the test, which was awful! Then you get to sit there for an hour and then they take your blood. If you are lucky like me, you will get a call back two days later from a very nice lady that tells me that my blood sugar is "slightly elevated". So that meant that I had to go in again this morning for a 3-hour glucose test, in which you have to fast from 10pm the night before and then they take your blood, give you the glucose drink again and then draw your blood every hour for 3 hours. Plus, you aren't allowed to eat anything during the test, so I didn't eat until noon today! What kind of test makes a pregnant woman starve?? This was so not fun. Lucky for John, I went Thursday instead of Friday and didn't make him sit there with me for three hours! Now we get to sit and wait to see if I have gestational diabetes. I am already at risk because Type 2 diabetes runs prevalently on one side of my family, so I have my fingers crossed.

3 comments:

The Meyer Family said...

That is one nasty drink. Sorry about the starving too. Just make up for it today and eat double:)

The Kruse Family said...

I got your blog from Lindsey's and just wanted to say Congratulations! Adam and I are very happy for you!

Megan (Rob's sister)

Daydreaming, tree hugging human named lindsey said...

you and no sugar is something hard to imagine since you LOVE ice cream! Pregnancy stinks sometimes!