Saturday, May 31, 2008

Can he possibly be 31 already?



Yes, John officially turned 31 yesterday. Yes, I know, some of you already thought he was older than that.... He started off the day by waking up at 5:30am to go play 36 rounds of golf in Scottsdale with Steven. I can only imagine how he lasted until the end of the day seeing as it ended up in the mid to high 90's by the end of the day.


As for presents for the birthday boy, this was my easiest year ever. Normally, I find John difficult to buy for, but this year he made it easy on me by buying all of his own presents on Ebay. He bought himself two signed baseball pictures for the memoriabilia room, some police patches to add to his collection and a book called "1000 Places to See Before You Die". Unfortunately, the book has not arrived yet, but we are anxious to check it out when it gets here. Now, before you all think I am heartless by not buying John anything myself, I did track down a gift for him from the baby (but really for the baby), which is shown in the picture above. I thought it was hilarious and had to buy it for him.


We went to Benihana's with the usual crew for dinner because that is the only place that John will go for his birthday. He believes that every occasion should be celebrated there. (He even took me there one year for my birthday after I specifically told him that I wanted to go to Uncle Sal's.) We were kind enough to tell our waiter that it was John's birthday and Steven's the next day, so they sang "Happy Birthday" to them both in English and Japanese, which they were thrilled about. They took some excellent polaroid pictures of them as well. As you can see, John and Steven did their trademark "Siamese Twins" pose where they pretend they are joined together at the head. It is quite a sight to see, especially in public. And remember, these are two grown men who turned 31 yesterday and today.