Saturday, March 21, 2009

Night time

We have had our ups and downs with Cole's sleeping over the past few months. He had been sleeping pretty good when I went back to work, getting up once or twice a night to nurse really quickly and then right back to sleep. Then the 4-5 wakings per night started; this went on for several weeks. Eventually we discovered that the poor guy had a double ear infection. Once we started treating that, he started sleeping good again, only getting up once sometimes twice during the night. Well, that changed again this week because he seems to be teething, so he is only sleeping for 3-4 hour stretches at a time, sometimes only 2 if the teeth are really bothering him.

However, I know this might sound crazy, but one of my favorite times to spend with Cole is actually in the middle of the night. Now, I certainly wish he was a better sleeper, but sometimes I just love those moments. There is something about sitting in his dark and quiet room while everyone else (John, Leroy, Ryno and Sammy) are all fast asleep and it is just me and my little guy. He will nurse for about 10-15 minutes and just doze off in my arms. Then I will put him at my shoulder to try to burp him, even though he rarely needs to burp in the middle of the night, but I just love to snuggle with him for a few minutes before I put him back in his crib. Just listening to and feeling his little body breathe is so amazing. I know that as he gets older and actually starts sleeping through the night I am really going to miss those times. However, I am sure that I will appreciate having more sleep at that time, but for now, those moments are usually worth it.

1 comment:

CubsFan said...

It's funny, Mar says the same thing about my nighttime feedings. Just kidding. It was really nice reading about this special time in your and Cole's life, even though he might not know it yet. I hope to experience the same feeling when we are lucky enough to be blessed with a a little one.