Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our first baby class

John had to take quite the hit to his manhood this week, when I forced him to go to a baby class with me. Mind you, this was not any baby class; this was called "The Art of Breastfeeding." John was at first mildly agreeable to going when I first asked and then he found out that it was 3 hours long. He officially blames our friend Dave for his whole miserable time. Dave's wife, Kristy had previously attended this very same class last year and recommended it to me. Dave did not attend, but actually told me on more than one occassion that he wished that he had, so that's why I made John go. And quite honestly, it was his fault because I wouldn't even have thought of taking John if he hadn't suggested it. Sorry Dave!!!

I had promised John that if he was the only man there that he could leave; unfortunately of the 8 of us that attended, 4 of us brought our husbands. We saw the first one in the parking lot and John actually said something along the lines of how he was going to need to "kick this guy's ass" so he could go home. As we got into the building, we realized this husband had even brought a notebook along, which John proclaimed "totally ridiculous." Obviously, John wasn't planning on paying much attention, let alone taking any notes. However, I was glad that John went with me, even though he remained grouchy for most of the evening. At one point, the teacher made us watch a 20 minute video on breastfeeding, so I tried to make light of the situation and joked to John that "if nothing else, he at least gets to see boobs on tv". Unfortunately, he did not think that was funny. Later on, the teacher made us work with these hideous, plastic baby dolls. John had volunteered to pick ours out of the bin at the beginning of class while I was picking up the hand-outs. For some reason, he comes to our seats with an unusually large, black baby. I could not stop laughing during the "practice" portion because I had a really hard time imagining that this was our baby!

Next weekend, we have our first of two Chidbirth preparation classes, so we will see how that goes. Those are 4 hours long, so hopefully John can handle it!

3 comments:

The Meyer Family said...

Leave it to John to get a big black baby, I'm thinking he secretly was calling it Shirlena:) I can't wait to hear about the next classes.

Nikki and Bill Weiland said...

SHIRRRRRLLLLLLLLENNNNNNNA

Daydreaming, tree hugging human named lindsey said...

Its sad to say this but I'm not one bit surprised at John's choice in a baby.